Friday 17 February 2017

Willow Tits

I'd read on a few birding blogs & on twitter that Willow Tits were being seen fairly regularly at Combe Wood in Berkshire so I went over there today for a look. I parked up near St.Swithun's Church as advised and set off up the byway towards the crest of the hill noting a few Treecreepers, a pair of Ravens, a Red Kite or two and a Nuthatch on the way. I was expecting the Willow Tits to be near the top of the path and was not disappointed with a pair calling and showing briefly straight away...however, not well enough for pictures...so I walked on through Combe Wood. Alas no more Willow Tits so I turned around to be met with..the sound of chainsaws! Right were they'd shown earlier! Bugger!

With nothing to lose with the disturbance, I staked out a particular area and surprisingly I heard a bird start to sing and another give its diagnostic nasal call almost constantly as they hopped along the hedge..result. Even got a picture this time, very pleased.

Willow Tit: