Saturday 26 November 2016

Swan Geese

Friday was a poor day for me, not able to find much of anything really. No Siberian Chiffchaff at Lidsey, no Bewick's Swans at Amberley or Burpham and no Swan Geese at Rackham viewpoint; just as well I was thwarted by failed railway gates at Lake Lane on my try as the Cattle Egret nearby wasn't seen that day either!

On Saturday I was a man with limited time so a very quick run up to Amberley to right yesterday's wrongs was about all I could manage. On arriving at Rackham viewpoint I was given the "look up & down and who are you" so beloved of some birders but was at least told that there was no sign of the White-fronted Geese or the Swan Geese & that a Marsh Harrier & Peregrine were out on the brooks. After a quick look through the Geese (a Bean Goose suspect in there I thought but distance was an issue-perhaps someone else can pick it up) I headed back up to the Hurst Cottages viewpoint at Amberley. Success here straight away as upon setting up the scope and looking into it the two Swan Geese were in view-yes I know they're feral/dodgy but still nice to see in a wild setting-with ten White-fronted Geese nearby along with the Greylag & Canada Geese. Honour being partially satisfied (still to find my Sibe...) I was done for the day.

Swan Geese x 2 nearly visible through the murk and at extreme distance for the camera in the centre left of picture, heads down...sorry best I could do!!:




It was very murky on Saturday morning, this was the view from by the cottages. A few White-fronted Geese are just visible on the right here: