Monday 28 November 2016

Smew & LTD

I managed to get a lot done on the farm on Sunday (3,000 garlic hand planted!) which gave me an excuse to get  away for a few hours this morning. Initially I was going to do the Medmerry beach trudge but a redhead Smew came up on twitter so decided to go for that. Found by Steve Chastell this morning an exchange of tweets confirmed that the north-east corner was the favoured spot...but after an hour of scanning with the scope no sign...

...so I decided to try from a spot I'd noticed on the west bank and on arrival found another birder checking the water. Still no Smew but I lucked on to the Long-tailed Duck by the sailing club and we viewed that for a while before Carey, for that was the birder's name, pointed out a cracking male Goosander further up the lake. A consultation later and we were checking out another spot along the bank when fortunately he spotted the Smew with a few Tufted Ducks on the far side by the reeds, nice one Mr. Lodge! It stayed distant all the time I was there so this shot was the best I could do.

Smew: