Friday 9 September 2016

Sandpipers

There is a newish gravel pit on the A29/A259 junction in Bognor Regis that has been attracting the wading birds recently and so I went today for a look; I'd been here in the Spring on the search for a rather rare wader without success so at least I knew the lie of the land as it were.

After a bit of to-ing & fro-ing on my part I did catch up with the Wood Sandpiper & the Pectoral Sandpiper and I have photographic evidence of both...not very good photographic evidence but it is what it is and at least decent scope views were had, especially of the Pec that flew closer in as we watched it.

Other birds present: Dunlin, Ruff (lots!), a Little Stint, a Curlew Sandpiper, five or so Greenshanks, Green Sandpipers, Common Sandpipers, Ringed Plovers, Black-tailed Godwits, a Snipe, lots of hirundines, a Hobby (which CM saw take a wader as big as itself!), a Grey Heron and two Grey Wagtails, I missed a Kingfisher too.

Pectoral Sandpipervideo

Pectoral Sandpiper:




Wood Sandpiper: