Friday 16 September 2016

Near miss Pallid

A somewhat frustrating day: firstly there was no sign of yesterday's Red-backed Shrike at Halsey's Farm and look for the Pallid Harrier was unsatisfactory. I didn't mind not getting the Shrike today as I saw it yesterday, albeit distantly, and the Redstarts showed well at their regular spot but the journey up to the downs to look for the PH was problematic with two access roads to the area blocked by a fallen tree and broken down car respectively, ho hum. Eventually via MTB I made it to Canada barn near North Stoke and scoped the valley there for a few hours. Raptor results: a Peregrine, a Kestrel, four Red Kites and three Buzzards and frustratingly about 30 seconds of what I'm fairly sure was the Pallid Harrier. I picked it up late and it dipped behind the tree line before I could get much on it but four fingers, probable boa and collar, orange underparts...one that got away...no way I could claim it on such a brief view. Always tomorrow, who knows what might turn up!!

And the blogger app doesn't work on ios 10!!