Monday 8 August 2016

Steyning Downland

A Dartford Warbler at Selsey Bill this morning (with thanks to OM for the text) nearly had me on my way down but alas work got in the way so instead I had to make do with a quick look for Brown Hairstreaks at Steyning on my way back from deliveries.

Unfortunately this was unsuccessful which was fairly surprising bearing in mind they are out & showing well at other sites, notably Shipton Bellinger in Hampshire; I think they do seem to be getting later at Steyning so we shall see what happens next Friday. Interestingly, there was a notable temperature drop along the lower blackthorn hedge compared to the trees in bright sun, perhaps this is responsible. Maybe they don't drop until the temperature gradient has evened out?

There were Speckled Woods, Meadow Browns, Gatekeepers, Small Whites, a Brimstone, a Holly Blue or two, a Blackcap and some lovely Willow Warblers around the blackthorn and a couple of Buzzards over but that was about it (I didn't have the time to venture up the hill for Wall).