Sunday 10 July 2016

Essex Skipper

I had a look at Medmerry today something I've been meaning to do for a while but cramming in the butterfly trips further afield has meant it's been rather neglected sadly. Today was fairly quiet for birds in the strong westerly winds, highlight being a Little Ringed Plover on the Stilt pools. Not much else of note although a male Linnet buried deep in a hedge had me going for a minute but alas not Red-breasted Flycatcher or Red-spotted Bluethroat!!! Yes I know, I might need new eyes let alone bins...;-)

Butterfly-wise, Gatekeepers, Meadow Browns, and a Small Skipper were it apart from a discovery of a little "colony" of Essex Skippers on the banks opposite Easton Lane car park-I was quite pleased with these. Hundreds of Six-spot Burnet moths too.

(Photos below, apologies to those at selseybirder.blogspot.co.uk for not sending in these in, laptop/small child malfunction earlier.)

Essex Skipper, showing the shorter, straighter sex brands than in Small Skipper:




Essex Skipper, note underside of black tipped antennae:







Six-spot Burnet moth:




Yellowhammer:




Little Ringed Plover:




Gatekeeper, took me ages to get this shot in the blustery wind!: