Saturday 25 July 2015

Wood Whites & Silver-Spotted Skippers


I drove up to Botany Bay today which is part of Chiddingfold Forest on the West Sussex/Surrey border for Wood Whites. I couldn't find any for quite a while but then found one just past the triangle on the main ride and another by the triangle itself. They have in their favour the ability to sit still and pose for photos! Also present many Silver-Washed Fritillaries, Commas, Gatekeepers, Meadow Browns and Green-Veined Whites though no Purple Emperors were seen by me.


Comma & Silver-Washed Fritillary:




Green-Veined White:




Wood White:













Commavar. Hutchinsoni:




Silver-Washed Fritillary:




After success at Botany Bay, I ventured up on to the top of the South Downs at Chantry Hill, TQ 08342 12686 or thereabouts  (thanks Leigh Prevost for the gen) for Silver-Spotted Skippers. General consensus was that I might be too early but eventually I found just one consorting with Small Skippers on Ragwort. The area for them is very steep so please exercise caution if you go here!


On Chantry Hill looking North West:





On Chantry Hill looking North East:




Common Blue:




Silver-Spotted Skipper: