Tuesday 30 June 2015

I had a delivery of our top quality organic veg & fruit to do in Southampton today which was handy as a Monarch butterfly was reported from Lordswood Road mid-morning. I stopped off on the way to the delivery but no sign although there was a Silver-Washed Fritillary in amongst the many Meadow Browns and Small Skippers. Back again after the delivery and it appeared my luck was out as I'd just missed the Monarch so off homeward I went...until I saw a tweet from David Stevenson that it was on show! U-Turn!! On arrival again no sign!! But then someone told me that it was in the top horse paddock where I'd seen the Fritillary earlier in the day, hmm...worth a look anyway I thought...

And so I went to ark the van more carefully than at the Cemetery Gates and bingo! Got out of the van and the Monarch was fluttering around on a small piece of grassland about 10 yards away. Good views were had as it was chased by and chased some Meadow Browns. A stunning creature! Of course, it may be an escape, release, ship-assisted or genuine but whatever I'm glad (really glad actually!) that I saw it!


Monarch: