Monday 20 April 2015

Wasn't quite sure what was going on at Titchfield Haven today!

As I was in the area, and although I've already seen the Greater Yellowlegs, when a report of it being present on Birdguides came up I thought I'd go and  have another look at this fine bird. On arrival I bumped into quite a few people I know who all said that it hadn't been seen all day and that the report might be of a Greenshank! Apparently the "Greater Yellowlegs" had disappeared into some reeds and emerged, as if by magic as someone once said, a Greenshank. I had no way of knowing the veracity of this of course but it was enough for me to decide not to bother.

Later in the day a tweet to Titchfield Haven from a NGB asking whether the GLegs was still present was met with a "Yes" (direct quote) despite at least one seasoned twitcher also tweeting it had not been seen all afternoon...

And another tweet from Titchfield Haven thus:
"as well as greater yellowlegs, lots of activity today: arctic skua, little tern arctic tern, eider, bar-tailed godwit, whimbrel" (sic)

Interesting as the latter birds were all seen on a sea-watch from Hill Head 09:15-11:00 (source Goingbirding.co.uk).

Gets better.."we also have" : Pale-bellied Brent and Yellow Wagtail,..these were also seen at Hill Head on the sea-watch but they were added to the list by the "Titchfield Tweeter".

Rather like saying everything seen at Selsey Bill is present at Medmerry!

Make of it what you will!

In lighter news, I found a female Ring Ouzel, a singing Nightingale and plenty of Whitethroats at a location on the South Downs this afternoon whilst surveying for butterflies.